[Q] C++ SDK, the Class way.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 22 15:00:46 CDT 2004

On 6/22/04 2:45 PM, "Jochen Peters" <j.peters at valentina-db.de> wrote:

Hi Jochen,

I have CC to list.

> First of all: This new way can be an option - but - looking at it in
> the first run i feel somehow "uncomfortable" with it ...
> It looks simply UNUSUAL.
>
> I am used to work with smartptrs in this way - the DOT notation is
> used for the pointer object itself - the -> operator is used to
> work with the pointed object - but this is a complete other story.
>
> The confusing thing is:
> The user want's to work with a single object - for example the
> database object. Using the above new way now means that he will actually
> work with TWO objects - his own one and the underlying kernel object..
>
> Well - as i have said - it can work...

Yes, I also see that it is unusual.
But developer I think can easy become used I think.

Let's discuss.
I will try give more reasons in the next letter

> BTW: What happens if you work with your own objects on the heap?

Nothing bad.

    DbContacts pdb = new DbContact()

Just its your responsibility delete it later.

Also note, if kernel objects are inherited from I_Unknwon,
And used with smart pointers, in the example I have give,
CUSTOM classes are simple C++ classes.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com