[FEATURE REQUEST] Unique server number on VServer

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Wed Jul 21 13:04:03 CDT 2004

Would it be possible to obtain a semi-unique serial number (e.g. MAC
Address) from the server through an SQL Query?

Let me explain why: in the past, we used a dongle for software
security, but because of various reasons, we switched to internet
activation linked to the server. In 4D, we are able to obtain the MAC
Address of the server, which is then sent along with some other
information to our servers, which then validates if the MAC Address is
already registered, if not, it adds it to the customer's info,
otherwise it checks if they are the same (if they're not, it means the
customer tried to install the software on a different server).

I can obtain the MAC Address without a problem using MonkeyBread or
Einhugur's plug-in on the client side (which in case of single user
version is ok), but for the multi-user version, I would need some kind
of unique server id to register the software with.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt