server release

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 19 16:42:15 CDT 2004

On 7/19/04 4:34 PM, "Bram Van Steenlandt" <van.steenlandt.nv at pandora.be>
wrote:

>> 2) Hmm, Igor, what about next idea which we can make in 5 minutes of
>> work.
>>     to Vserver we add new admin command
>>
>>         Vserver.BackUp( disk_location )
>>
>> Vserver will wait until all WRITE commands finish,
>> And it will prevent new WRITE commands until finish.
>>
>> As only all WRITE commands gone, then we can simply duplicate db files
>> into
>> specified locations on the HIGHEST POSSIBLE speed.

> OK cool but why not
> Vserver.backup("remote_server",login,password)

> this way we can easely backup onto another computer wich is better
> because the chances of two computer catching fire at the same time is
> very small

1) if "other computer" is computer in the same LOCAL network,
Then you can easy mount its HDD to Vserver computer,
So command

        Vserver.backup( "shared_volume" )

Will give you exactly what you want, right?

> and also: we now use our filemaker backups when we need to go to a
> remote location (no internet because file structure for server is the
> same as client) valentina also has same structure so you could say something
> like
>
> Vserver.backup("MyPowerbook","Login","password")
>
> This would be super

2) you mean here DOWNLOAD db files to your *remote client* computer?

** this will be much slower and take much longer time.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com