[SJHS-Swim] State Championship Results

DD Ross xcmom at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 17:08:45 CST 2014

Time for a wrap-up of the State 6A Swim and Dive Championships.

First let me state the most important:  Sam and Natalie did very well at the State Championships in Richmond.

Prelims on Friday were a bit tame, we sat with the other teams from our Conference and enjoyed cheering them on as well as our own two swimmers.

Successfully swimming into the finals for Saturday everyone was hungry, so Italian was the menu of choice (Good Carb loading!) followed by a good nights sleep.

Since the 5A Championships were in the morning we didn't need to arrive until after 1pm for warm-ups so everyone was able to sleep-in and have breakfast.

The feeling in the facility was electrified for Saturday's meet.  So much fun to watch these very fast swimmers race.
Natalie was the first to swim in the 200 IM, we watched the Consolation final first then out marched the Championship Finalists!  It was a very fast race.  Natalie finished 8th, a great finish, giving her All-State status, last year she also swam this event but only made the Consolation Final.

The next event would be Sam in the 100 Fly, even though he dropped time, he would be swimming 11th in the Consolation Final.  What a race it was, like watching ripples in the water against the wall as they touched.  Again he dropped time and broke his own school record! Finishing 1st in Consolation, 9th overall.

We watched as some very fast events took place and we awed at the 20.75 Boys 50 free and the 46.13 Boys 100 Free!  Not to worry, we watched the girls, too, Janet Hu did a 22.40 for the 50 free and the girl who won the 100 Free did a 50.81!

Next, Sam swam the 500 Free in the Championship Finals, he was seeded 7th and dropped time and broke his own school record, and finished 7th.  It was a very fast race, too. Welcome to All-State Status, Sam!

We only had Natalie left to swim in the 100 Breaststroke, she was ready to make this a great race and she did finishing 7th amidst a field of her known rivals. Again, Natalie made it known that she belongs in the All-State ranks!  Congratulations!

This has been a very busy season with a lot of traveling for some swimmers and it is time for some rest, but not before the Winter Sports Banquet (March 11) and Team Party (March 28).

Final Note:  OPHS and Patriot did very well, having relays in the Consolation and Championship Finals, as well as a few individual swimmers on Saturday. Conference 8 was well represented by our 3 teams.

Keep on Swimming,
Coach Ross