[SJHS-Swim] Regional HS Swimming Championships Results

DD Ross xcmom at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 08:03:39 CST 2014

Raiders Swim Team

What a great pool and venue Oak Marr turned out to be for the Regional Championships.  It's just a short bit of a drive, took about 30 minutes.  Nicely ventilated, and fast.  with plenty of deck space.

The Raider Team did very well this weekend the boys finished 22 of 26 beating both Osbourn - and Battlefield!  And the girls finished 18th of 26th also beating both Osbourn and Battlefield!

Congratulations to the Regional Team for being strong, filled with team spirit, and for swimming hard:

Girls Team:  Yara Azar, Mary Blodgett, Rebekah and Victoria Dugan, Hanna Krzywicki, Morgan Kurst, Arianna Mortensen, Natalie Purnell, Mary Kate Thornburg.
Boys Team:  Albert Blesi, Michael Hayden, Charles Johnson, Aydan Mortensen, LJ Nadal, AJ Neal, Peter and Sam Pomajevich, Bruno Saracho, Andrew and Sean Sorensen
Diving:  Julien-Amor Tchoukouan.

Julien had a great experience diving on Wednesday, though eliminated before the finals, he performed admirably.  It is amazing the level of diving in this region and was fun for us to watch.  Our hope is that diving will grow in our Conference and truly get a chance to compete within this region!  Thank you, Julien for helping to open the door.

Sam broke 2 school records and in doing so finished 6th in the 200 Freestyle and 5th in the 100 Fly and will move on to the State Championships in his choice of one of his qualifying 4 strokes!
He lacks only one school record this year and that would be in the 200 IM, I'm sure he will have that in his sights at some point in the next 3 seasons!  He also smashed the school record in the 500 Free this season.

Natalie continued her amazing season by breaking 2 school records this weekend and in doing so took 3rd in the 200 IM dropping over 5 seconds in that event and 2nd in a nail-biter 100 Breaststroke finishing only .02 behind the #1 finisher!  It was AWESOME!!!  Only the clock revealed the finish!  She now moves on to the State Championships in prime position for both those events.

Sam 200 Free 1:44.2
Natalie 200 IM  2:06.62
Sam 100 Fly  51.21
Natalie 100 Breast 1:04.99

The Relay teams also dropped time, they may not have broken any records, but they ended with better times than they entered the meet.  They put their whole season of practices into the races.  The individual splits showed as each swimmer "shaved" some time off their swims in order to bring those times down!  That makes them Champions! Congratulations on a great meet and a great season.

These are great times and we are very proud of our swimmers this season for all they have achieved.  Please remember that anytime you swim and drop time you have done the very best you can do and broken a record, your record!  Always train to achieve the very best you can.

As a sidebar:  Patriot Men finished 7th! Patriot Women finished 14th overall.  Osbourn Park Men finished 13th overall, and OP Women finished 10th overall.  Kudos to Conference 8 for the incredible performance in this very powerful Region.  This is a good look at what will happen at the State level.

Overall Winners in this Region were:  1- Oakton   2- Langley   3 - McLean

Keep on Swimming,

Coach Ross