Speeding up UpdateRecord

Beatrix Willius bwillius at gmx.de
Sun Jan 12 00:03:44 CST 2014

Oh my. You are correct, but this is waaaayyyyy horrible performance. For a measly field with 11 MB in 1000 records???? And now Instruments tells me that IndexChanges = false takes 60%.

Now I know why indexing takes so very long. I had wondered before because I only index half a dozen fields or so. Is this considered normal and acceptable speed?

Unfortunately, my database doesn’t have the usual entry pattern where a user enters a tiny bit of data and the index can be updated for this record. I’ve got lots and lots of data. When you update a couple of records and then have to update the index, this takes far too long.

On 11.01.2014, at 20:00, Ruslan Zasukhin <ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:

> This field is indexed by words, yes?
>
> * I think main time eats indexing of each your update.
>

> * When you make big changes over table, it is good idea to disable index
> operations.
>
> In the past we did this via
>
>     field.Indexed = false
>          big  job
>     field.Indexed = true
>

> * But about 3-4 years ago, we have added feature
>
>      Table.IndexChanges = false
>          big  job
>      Table.IndexChanges = true
>
> This allows to disable index operations on all fields of table.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: The email archiving solution for professionals