Cache Size

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Jan 5 02:26:26 CST 2014

On 1/4/14, 9:17 AM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Beatrix,

> While implementing Valentina Server for my app I saw that the cache size can
> be edited manually. I think the last time a had a look at this was a couple of
> years ago. Set the cache size to 40 MB and was finished.
>
> Is the text below from the wiki still current? This hasn¹t been changed since
> 2010. Even my 2 year old MacBook has 4 GB of RAM. Some customers of mine have
> machines with 20 GB. My databases can easily get a size of larger than 10 GB.
> What¹s the recommendation for the cache size?

Well, you always can experiment :-)

Up to now, I did hear usually about 50-100Mb cache size.
You can try to set 1GB, why not.

But since depends on machine, you can have in code some checks of RAM.
Cache should not be bigger of half of RAM. And even half is too much.

Because except cache, Valentina uses RAM for
    BitSets, ArraySets, Joins, Sorts, ...

> Why has the cache size set to be a fixed value in 2014? Shouldn¹t this be
> handled dynamically?

No dynamic changes.