Close all open databases --> Why exists API way

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Oct 15 12:30:51 CDT 2013

On 10/15/13 1:49 AM, "Mark Schonewille" <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com>
wrote:

Hi Mark,

> That's isn't really the problem, though. I don't quite understand why
> there is a complicated API, if there is already a SQL language. Yes,
> using the API has an advantage, because LiveCode's SQL commands are very
> limited, but we don't need that extensive API.
>
> When using databases, I always compare the front-end languages with PHP.
> If PHP doesn't have it, then it is not necessary. LiveCode lacks a lot
> that PHP has, but Valentina has a lot that PHP proofs to be unnecessary.

Well, I think something is explained in Valentina WIKI / Articles

In short:

1) Valentina was born to be Object-Relational db,
 db, which have links, which have classes, inheritance.

This was yet 1993, when C++ have start raise instead of C.

2) Up to 2000 year, Valentina did not have SQL at all.

3) So its SQL is a special engine, built over lower level engine of
Valentina.

4) SQL engine internally uses same API level.

5) API level can be greatly used for local dbs only ...
 it can give you easy x10 - x100 times speed ups comparing to SQL way.

Good reason yes?

6) For such high-level languages scripting as PHP and LiveCode,
API level looks to be not very comfortable. Yes we see that.

In VPHP there is no still full Valentina API public ...
But we already have it in beta in SVN ...

7) I think you know about non-SQL dbs boom ...

But Valentina by its nature IS such non-SQL db :-)
And yes SQL db.

8) for Macromedia Director, we did have just ONE function,
 which could do all job over db.

DISCLAIMER: This was not our idea, we have copied it.

For Livecode, such 1-main-function can be that
    VDatabase_SqlSelectRecords()

You have see it ...

May be even we need split docs to 2-3 parts

    a) simplest  1 function

   b) like others db - SQL way:
      only DB + cursor here

  c) Advance -- API level ...