Meaning of the error "Value was not prepared for Update"

Fran=?ISO-8859-1?B?5w==?=ois Van Lerberghe frvanlerberghe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 03:24:24 CDT 2013

Hello,

le 19/06/13 8:50, Ivan Smahin <ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com> a écrit :

>> V4RB version is 4.3
>
> You should try at least 4.9. Judging on the source code this issue was fixed
> there.

Yes, but another bug (reported in Mantis and fixed in version 5) prevent me
to use the 4.9 version with this project. And the minimum system requirement
for version 5 is at least Mac OS X 10.5 if I remember correctly.
Unfortunately I have customers running 10.4...

>> Field is a UShortField, indexed, Unique
>>
>> These are the step I got it :
>> - Try to add a record using SQL command :
>>    INSERT INTO myTableName ( myUniqueFieldName ) VALUES ( 0 )
>>    -> Error 23503
>> - Update a record of the same table using class way :
>>    myVCursor.SomeOtherField.value = 1234
>>    myVCursor.UpdateRecord
>>    -> Error 8050E
>
> So you do "update" against some cursor - not a regular table.
> Is there myUniqueFieldName?
> And how do you choose "position" to be updated there?

First I create myVcursor. For example :
    SELECT SomeOtherFieldName FROM myTableName WHERE myUniqueFieldName = 5
This allow me to "choose" the record to update (myVcursor.RecordsCount = 1).
Next I update it as said previously.

François Van Lerberghe