Index corruption on method field

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Dec 27 16:54:04 CST 2013

Using V4RB 5.3.4, I'm having problems updating a table and then doing a search for the record.

My table is basically a list of just under 10,000 person names.  I have an method field called UpName and it is indexed.  The method is simple: Upper(Concat(lname, ' ' , fName)).   lname and fname are varchar fields of 512 length.

If I add a record with the last name low in the alphabet, it usually works fine.  So, I add my name, "Steve Albin" and then do the following search:
	SELECT  * FROM tblNames WHERE UpName LIKE 'alb%'

This will work fine. But if I add a name with a higher letter in the alphabet, the search will not work.  So, if I add "Ruslan Zasukhin" and then do this search:
	SELECT  * FROM tblNames WHERE UpName LIKE 'zas%'

the record will not be found.  But once I reindex the database, the record will be found.

I think my question is, what are things I could look for in my schema that may cause this.  I don't think I've found some Valentina bug, but instead I may have implemented something incorrectly.  Problem is, I can't see what.

Maybe I should not use a method field for an index?  I could create this field directly if I need to.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve

--
Steve Albin, Montclair, NJ