Searching large amounts of text

Beatrix Willius bwillius at gmx.de
Thu Oct 18 10:26:57 CDT 2012

Since a while sorting and searching my database has become really fast. However, there is one area where searching is still too slow. And this is searching large amounts of text, which in my case can be GBs of data. But it's mainly one field for the database, typically in the range of a few KB to seldom larger than one MB.

I'm using index by words on one side and regex on the other side. Thinking about this: does this make sense??? Code is quite simple:

where Message.MessageBody REGEX '(?i)something'

Using something like a * for wildcard searching isn't acceptable in the times of Google finding everything with the part of a second.

What are my options here? Does anyone have an acceptable solution? Can I use an additional software like Lucene together with Valentina? Would it make a good feature request to integrate Lucene? Is there something better available?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: The email archiving solution for professionals