App Store rejection - unorm_isNormalized

Ernesto Giannotta erne at apimac.com
Sun Oct 7 03:50:35 CDT 2012

Hello Ruslan,

I submitted an app built with 4.9 and with copied ICU into the bundle with this commands

#ICU library
cp -R /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib "$app_vcomp"

# change path to ICU library
install_name_tool -change "/usr/lib/vcomponents/libicucore.A.dylib" "@executable_path/../vcomponents/libicucore.A.dylib" "$app_vcomp"/libvkernel_fat_release.dylib

but got rejected by the App Store for the same reason (use of unorm_isNormalized)

has this issue been addressed in 5.x?

> Binary Rejected Sep 25, 2012 11:24 AM
> Reasons for Rejection:
> 	• 2.5 Apps that use non-public APIs will be rejected
> Sep 25, 2012 11:24 AM. From Apple.
> 2.5
>
> The use of non-public APIs can lead to a poor user experience should these APIs change in the future, and is therefore not permitted. The app includes unorm_isNormalized from the framework '/usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib'.
>
> If you have defined a method in your source code with the same name as this API, we suggest altering your method name so that it no longer collides with Apple's private API to avoid your application being flagged in future submissions.
>
> Alternatively, this API may reside in a library included with your application. If you do not have access to the library's source, you may be able to search the compiled binary using "strings" or "otool" command line tools. The "strings" tool can output a list of the methods that the library calls and "otool -ov" will output the Objective-C class structures and their defined methods. These techniques can help you narrow down where the problematic code resides.

Thanks for listening

Cool Runnings,
Erne.