CLONE was extremely slooooow

Fabian Kneubuehl support at ysd.ch
Sat Mar 31 01:58:33 CDT 2012

Hi Ruslan, Ivan

CLONE was extremely slow. I have a 4 month old DB with some segment errors
(again)! I start the CLONE on a ProLiant server RAID5, i7 processor 4 month
old, or in short a very potent server. The whole process runs over 20
hours!!!

Some words to our DB:

This DB contains about 7'000 patients and 50'000 appointments, 20'000
invoices and 20'000 treatments. This 90'000 records points all to one of the
patients. The sizes are 1.5 GB BLB and 350 MB DAT.

Some words to the process:

About 90% of the BLB file was done in one hour. After that the population of
the DAT file seems to go on. But after about 2 hours this process seems to
nearly sleep (about 500 Bytes every few minutes). The overall time depends
not heavily of the size of the BLB (I tried this with a DB with a BLB size
of 4GB but only 5'000 patients that runs in 8 hours).

I don't know what CLONE exactly does. But I think that it make some
sequential searches or adjustments. As soon as you reach the patients you
iterate for each of them through every of the about 100'000 pointers.

If this statement is in any way correct - why not simply read the pointers
into memory, make QSort and use a binary search?

Really, Ruslan, we have the need for speed!!! It was no problem if CLONE
runs 1 or 2 hours but 20h is ways too much. The good side, the result is
correct.

AND: As I wrote you in an earlier mail: If I take the cloned DB and make a
new clone of this, the process runs in about 10 times faster!!! I argued
that this is because you flag unchanged segments or pages but you answered
to me that this is because of the caching of Windows. But that cannot be the
case because I see the same behavior if I copy the ne DB to another PC.

Please, please discuss this with yourself and Ivan!

Regards

Fabian