Vserver.RegisterDatabase questions

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sat Jun 23 01:40:37 CDT 2012

On 6/22/12 8:41 PM, "Francois Van Lerberghe" <fvanlerberghe at freegates.be>
wrote:

Hi Francois,

> I have some questions about Vserver.RegisterDatabase :
>
> I see in the Wiki (/ valentina / products / adk / api / vserver_class /
> master_database_methods) the 2d example

>   server.RegisterDatabase( "Accounting", "C:\SomeCompany\account2002.vdb")
>

> - Can I give a name ("Accounting") that is not the same as the filename
> ("account2002") ?

> - Can the database be placed in another directory than the master database ?

Originally we was going allow that ...
But now we see this can be not a good idea.
And Apple with sandboxing makes things harder.

We hope that hard-links FROM databases folder can improve thigns ...
On the other hand I remember that hard links can be only in the scope of
single volume ...

Just couple days ago, for v5 we have come to this place also,
Because we have add SHOW LOGS and SHOW LOG commands,

> - If not, can the database be placed in a sub-directory ?

I think no, because algorithm is simple
      pathToDatabases + dbName

Via hard link should work

    databases
        subfolder
            db1
        link_db1

> - Can I use this second syntax on Mac OS X ?

Again, we self going one again check this in nearest couple of days, and
provide info into docs ...

I also not happy close things into databases folder ...
One may want put db to big thunderbolt HDD RAID ...