can I query raw bits using bit logic in a huge RS database?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Jun 10 15:29:03 CDT 2012

On 6/10/12 4:29 PM, "Aaron Andrew Hunt" <aaronandrewhunt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) Valentina has columnar format, so when query do not indexed FIELD scan,
>> Valentina loads only this field, other db engines must load the whole table
>

> OK, I read some web pages about columnar format, and it looks probably
> superior for our needs. However, as you also suggested I think we could also
> make separate tables of one field for the bits ...
>
> I think I understand, we can have for each of our "records" maybe only 2 or 3
> tables - one for bits, others for different data - collated into similar
> tables for faster searching of this or that data. Is this optimal for a
> columnar BD? in a rows based DB, I worry about speed slowing down if we need
> queries over different tables simultaneously for the "same records".

Not sure you have catch.

Let you have table with 20 fields.
For COLUMNAR db there is no need split such table into few,
    because you bit-strings field CAN be scanned really independently
    from other fields.

In row based dbs, developer may need split such data into say 2 tables,
Adding yet PK-FK link between these table -- more/extra data on disk and
RAM, and have overhead of join.