Converting fields from VarChar to String

Christer Olsson christer at ljusaideer.se
Thu Jan 26 13:39:13 CST 2012

26 jan 2012 kl. 19.40 skrev Ruslan Zasukhin:

> On 1/26/12 3:16 PM, "Christer Olsson" <christer at ljusaideer.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Christer,
>
>> We're considering to change several VarChar fields to String fields to avoid
>> some corruption troubles we are seeing with VarChar fields.
>
>> Is it considered
>> safe to just convert the fields or should we make new String fields, copy the
>> values from VarChar fields and then drop VarChar fields?
>
> Best,
> Christer
>

> A) it should be safe if strings will not be truncated.
>
> B) so question is what length of VarChar declared?
>    what strings really there?
>
> C) string with big N can take much more disk and be slower.
> String field okay on my view for 5-20 chars only strings.

Our biggest fields are 128 chars.

> =======
> May be there is sense wait few days yet to see 5.0 betas
> And make tests with it.
>
> We have add journaling with automatic rollback on open.
> This  feature should eliminate any corruptions from crashes of app

That would be great. I've spent the last four hours restoring a db from backup after a crash. The db was impossible to open in VStudio.

Best,
Christer

 Christer Olsson   PO Box 9160        Phone +46 40 25 85 85
 Ljusa Idéer AB    SE-200 39 Malmo    Fax +46 40 25 85 89
 Kantyxegatan 5    Sweden             http://www.ljusaideer.se