[FAQ] Some server questions -- VDN, embedded signature, why?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Jan 1 05:35:28 CST 2012

On 12/31/11 12:47 PM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Beatrix,

> User management comes to mind. Updating the database schema.
>
> I don't understand the issue with the embedded signature. What do you mean
> with this?

This is major point and difference between Vserver Office and Embedded.

This is ROOT page of vserver wiki docs

http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:products:vserver:
vserver

>From here I have jumped to

http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:products:vserver:
compare

Where you can read

Valentina Embedded Server has special license_emb_dddddd file that contains
embedded signature. Thanks to this VServer Embedded accepts only connections
from clients that provide this signature.

====================
In short again points and logic is next:

* usually Oracle, MS, and most other DB SERVER vendors sale db server per
computer basis ... Some even link price to the number of CPU cores.

This means that if developer want deploy his app to 1000 schools,
Each school must buy own copy of such db server, what is very costly.

* We also have Valentina Office Server, which is priced 300 - 1500...
 and which is okay if some office buy single copy for self

* for developers we offer Vserver Embedded.
        With ROYALTY FREE license for 5-connections.

And with HUGE price discount for additional connections.
For example INFINITE vserver embedded  400$ vs 1500 of vserver office.

* and license_embedded_xxx have special embedded signature related to your
name. And your application, which is coupled with vserver embedded must in
the
     connect( ip, user, passw, port, .....  ,  embeded_sginature )

EMBEDDED SERVER will not accept connection if there is no this signature

* Why we do this? For example, because you do not want sale your app to some
schoole/office  and allow that this vserver is used by others for other
tasks.

* if some your client want to have around VSERVER your app, and some others,
for example do own development, they need switch to Valentina Office Server