Diagnosing in a thread

Andrew Dempsey andrew at andrewdempsey.com
Tue Sep 20 02:47:50 CDT 2011

I am working in Valentina for RealBasic.  When I run VDatabase.Diagnose(), the application freezes for about 5-10 seconds, until the results of the diagnosis are generated.

For example :  bnResult =  currDB.Diagnose(EVVerboseLevel.kNone)

In order to try to provide the user with some feedback, a simple progress wheel to show that the program has not become unresponsive, I have tried to put this diagnosis into a low priority thread.  I still get the same freezing effect.  The progress wheel freezes in one position until the diagnosis is done.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping the program responsive while diagnosis or cloning takes place?

Thanks

Andrew Dempsey
andrew at andrewdempsey.com