Valentina and RB threads

jda jda at his.com
Wed Oct 19 11:27:44 CDT 2011

>On 19.10.2011, at 17:46, jda wrote:
>
>>>a. What issues are you running into?
>>>
>>>b. Carbon or Cocoa?
>>>
>>>c. You know what do do (thread, timer etc.).
>>>
>>>d. And no, it's a Real issue and not a Valentina one.
>>>

>>Well, the UI isn't updating (it should be
>>updated via a timer that accesses variables set
>>in the thread). This is Carbon.
>>

>SighŠ Carbon: I miss it so much. Some operations
>seem not to yield in Valentina. My favorite one
>was re-indexing. So what exactly are you trying
>to do?

I am putting up a listbox that shows a list of
groups. In a second column I show how many
records belong in each group -- that can take
some time to calculate, so I want to put up the
list first and fill out the # of items per group
in a thread. Kind of like in the Finder where
folder sizes can be updated gradually in the list
view. The calculations in the thread require
Valentina queries. What we're seeing with big
databases and lots of groups is that the UI
freezes. We're also getting a locked table error
(but I think I can work around that -- it's the
UI that's the problem).

Jon