LinkBinary

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Nov 18 14:19:06 CST 2011

On 11/18/11 10:07 PM, "Paxdo Presse" <paxdo at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

Good question.

1) BinaryLink right cannot have additional fields, like can have regular
table MM.  In this case you need use MM table as always.

2) We think that we can add one more
        LinkOnTable   which in background will use MM table,

Advantage will be still that engine will know it as LINK,
So we will be able still write short SQL queries with one joing between T1
and T2 not thinking about T1 -> TL -> T2

Also will be needed extend API of  Vlink class, to have Fields ...
We still think about this ...

> The linkBinary are very useful,
> but what is the most effective solution to replace a link table M: M that
> contains a field?
>
> For example:
>
> Table A: Type of Houses
> - Field: Type (house of wood, brick house, etc.).
>
> Table B: Owner
> - Field: name of the owner
>
> Table C: Link between owners and house types
> Two fields:
> - Owner ptr
> - Type of house ptr
> - NUMBER OF ROOMS
>
> In this case, we are still working with three tables and classic links?

Yes.  Only you can use here RecID + ObjectPtr and still get some win in
space and speed and easy ..