Transactions and Triggers for Binary Links

John Sims john at conceptualight.com
Mon Jan 24 20:36:04 CST 2011

On 1/21/11 9:24 AM, Ivan Smahin wrote:
> On 1/21/2011 4:13 PM, william humphrey wrote:
>> Yes and with example livecode? In fact I'd love to see a livecode
>> implementation done by someone who knows SQL so well.
> No, I mean just ideas in plain english or sql

Hi Ivan,

Well, for a long time I have hoped to try to use Valentina in our
environment which pretty much requires data
replication/synchronization.  We have people who work on laptops in
areas where you cannot guarantee any level of Internet or network access
(3rd world countries and things like that).  Having triggers and stored
procedures, I should be able to write my own replication/synchronization
engine for traditional type database tables.  But I'd like to be able to
use Binary Links in the application so I'd need to know when changes
were made to them also.

The only other difficulty I see is dealing with the uniqueness of Vale's
RecID and Object Pointers.  There's no way I am aware of change the
RecID of a record so keeping the records homogeneous across database
installations will be pretty much impossible...so, I'll have to try to
work around that.

Just thinking out loud, I don't suppose there is a way to enable
Valentina to create "Partial" clones:

I'd like to choose a specific record from a certain table then have that
record and any records of any tables down the relationship tree cloned.
If there are any tables that are not in the relationship tree, all
records for those tables would be cloned.

That, and Triggers on Binary Links, would take me a long way towards
being able to build my replication engine.

Thanks for listening.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-John