SQL help

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Feb 25 17:19:40 CST 2011

Thanks John,

I see where my syntax error occurred, but the resultant cursor for this does not give me what I want.  The TypeGenre table is a small table with a dozen records that contain tags that may or may not be on an album.  I want a cursor that will contain the same number of records as contained in the TypeGenre table, but the nAlbumId field will be null for occurrences where the TypeGenre record is not used.  That is the purpose of the outer join.

Here is what I want:

Hollywood		null	null				null
Piano			null	null				null
Jazz			1	Plays W. C. Handy	1
Pop			null	null				null
Blues			null	null				null
Country		null	null				null
Classical		null	null				null
Christmas		null	null				null
Latin			null	null				null
Vocals		1	Plays W. C. Handy	1
Anthology		null	null				null
Soundtrack		null	null				null
Opera		null	null				null

Here is what I am getting using the SQL you've corrected:

Jazz			1	Plays W. C. Handy	1
Vocals		1	Plays W. C. Handy	1

(Like you, I hope the formatting holds up for this!)

The SQL I created using the WHERE clause to specify the outer join works.  Specifying the outer join in the FROM clause does not work.  I find this odd, but maybe there is a reason for it.

I'm satisfied using the SQL with the join specified in the WHERE clause.  You've answered my question as to the syntax problem I was having and I'm glad to know that for other uses.

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Albin, Montclair, NJ