query large list of values

Wolfgang Colsman wolfgang.colsman at osthus.de
Sat Feb 19 08:48:38 CST 2011

Hi,

I have a scenario where I have a very long list of values (1 Mio) as an
IEnumerable<string> in memory (using VNET).

What is the recommended way to use this list as query parameter?

To my understanding it is not possible to bind the list to a sql like
"WHERE x IN (:1)", since this would compare the array object, not the
values inside the array.

I tried the following approach: create a temporary table, populate it
with the values, and finally join this table with the data to be
queried.

In order to populate the temporary table I created a dump file with
500,000 rows which I loaded via LoadDump().

LoadDump() took 1.5 minutes to load the data!!

What is the most performing way to implement this? This performance is
not acceptable for the users.

Regards

Wolfgang Colsman