Defining Fields

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sun Feb 6 11:34:53 CST 2011

On 2/3/11 9:44 PM, "Warren Kuhl" <warrenkuhl at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Warren,

> I have a table which I created with 2 fields as varchar(2040).  The table
> contains around 40,000 records and the table takes up around 30 meg.
>
> Field 1 max length <= 100 characters (key field)
> Field 2 max length <= 500 characters
>
> I am trying to get the table down in size from 30 meg.  Would varchar be the
> best way to store a field(s) of this size (or string...or ???)?
>
> ie. Field 1 = varchar(100); Field 2= varchar(500)

1)

You will nothing actually making VarChar(100).
This only will setup top-limit and will truncate strings.

Bigger MaxLength  do not eat more space.

2)

Why you think 30M is too much?
What size of e.g. Your text file with same strings?

Keep in mind that db file contains strings in UTF16.
So this is compared to 15MB UTF8  may be.

3) also what reason to fight with size?
You need transfer that file?
Try to make ZIP, I think you will be surprised.