V4REV - LiveCode have try-catch already ?? Wow? :-)

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:44:30 CST 2011

Well, as far as I remember, LiveCode has had Try/Catch/Finally since
it was Revolution 1.1.1 (which is about 10 years ago) :)   But it
seems to me that not many people use this feature.  Errors still get
thrown and get caught by the engine (interpreter) at the final point,
and displayed in an error dialogue.  But I find it a convenient
structuring technique so I use try/catch a lot.

In fact, Livecode also has "throw"

http://docs.runrev.com/Control-Structure/throw

open file tFile for text read
if the result is not empty then
   throw "failed_to_open_file"
end if

But the real beauty of Livecode for me is that it is an exceedingly
late-binding language.  Entire interfaces can be built dynamically,
and functions/procedures can be built on the fly and applied.

Bernard