V4REV - select using sql functions returns bizarre values

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:45:57 CST 2011

"SELECT FORMAT(now(), '', 'kDateFormatFull')"

Using an example like the above from the Valentina wiki:

http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:vcomponents:vsql:reference:expr:funcs_string&s[]=string&s[]=function#locale

I find that the value returned in the cursor is "ˇ˛W" , and not some
formatted date as one would expect.

I get a cursor that consists of a single row with a single field,
named "No_name1" of type "KTypeString".

I am using put VField_Value( fldRef ) to get hold of the value from
the one field in the cursor.  If I try to use VField_String, I get a
Livecode error.  Unfortunately the Livecode error is not very
informative.  It could be that VField_String has not been implemented
- I could not find a stack in the Paradigma-provided stacks that uses
VField_String.  Thus, I cannot isolate if the problem comes from using
VField_Value, or if it is actually a defect in the select/format
combination.

Can anyone confirm that such a sql call works using another Valentina
connector?  I have tried several of the example select/function calls
from the wiki, and none provide any meaningful results.

Bernard