installing and using V4REV in Linux questions

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Thu Nov 25 08:56:36 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 10:31 +0200, Ivan Smahin wrote:
> Hello Warren,
>
> Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 6:46:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I am unable to get V4REV working in Linux Mint. The Linux version
> > doesn't benefit from the comprehensive rev installer that allows for
> > foolproof installation in Mac and Windows and the docs are incomplete. I
> > have created what seems like a plausible directory structure based on my
> > experience with the other platforms, but Valentina_Init() returns an
> > error.
>
> What kind of error?
> Is there any V4REV log?
>
> > I have created a directory "~/my_livecode" which contains the "Plugins"
> > and "Externals" directories. (Plugins placed here are found by Livecode,
> > so that part is correct.) I have placed the V4REV.so at top level inside
> > the Externals directory along with a file "Externals.txt" which contains
> > the entry "Valentina4,V4REV.so". Inside the Externals directory is a
> > directory called "Database Drivers" which holds "dbvalentina2.so" and a
> > file "Database Drivers.txt" with an entry "Valentina,dbvalentina2.so".
> > "vcomponents" is installed in /usr/local/lib (using proper install
> > script).
>
> Could you check dependency - I mean ldd ./V4REV.so ?
> Probably it is just ldconfig question?
>
> > I have tried the explicit linking to these files in the stack property
> > inspector as per the "readme" but this was not a solution. About this; I
> > see this step is deprecated since Rev 2.7. Is this currently necessary
> > for getting V4REV to work in Linux? In any event, I have been unable to
> > get it working :(
>
> What is V4REV version?

Thanks for responding!

Valentina 4.7. I'm running 64 bit Linux Mint (a child of Ubuntu distro)
with 32 bit compatibility layer installed. I have moved the vcomponents
to /usr/lib and run ldconfig. 'ldd V4REV.so' seems to indicate there are
no unresolved dependencies. Have others had problems installing V4REV in
Ubuntu?

The error is a Revolution script error which indicates it doesn't
understand the function 'Valentina_Init()'.

Can you or someone tell me if I have installed the external correctly in
Revolution/Livecode? (Aside from any problems the libs may be giving me,
this needs to be correct, too!) What about the *perhaps* no longer
necessary step of explicitly asscociating the external with the stack
via the property inspector?

Thanks :)

Warren