installing and using V4REV in Linux questions

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Wed Nov 24 10:46:03 CST 2010

Hello,

I am unable to get V4REV working in Linux Mint. The Linux version
doesn't benefit from the comprehensive rev installer that allows for
foolproof installation in Mac and Windows and the docs are incomplete. I
have created what seems like a plausible directory structure based on my
experience with the other platforms, but Valentina_Init() returns an
error.

I have created a directory "~/my_livecode" which contains the "Plugins"
and "Externals" directories. (Plugins placed here are found by Livecode,
so that part is correct.) I have placed the V4REV.so at top level inside
the Externals directory along with a file "Externals.txt" which contains
the entry "Valentina4,V4REV.so". Inside the Externals directory is a
directory called "Database Drivers" which holds "dbvalentina2.so" and a
file "Database Drivers.txt" with an entry "Valentina,dbvalentina2.so".
"vcomponents" is installed in /usr/local/lib (using proper install
script).

I have tried the explicit linking to these files in the stack property
inspector as per the "readme" but this was not a solution. About this; I
see this step is deprecated since Rev 2.7. Is this currently necessary
for getting V4REV to work in Linux? In any event, I have been unable to
get it working :(

Where have I gone wrong?

Regards,

Warren