[VSQL] SELECT ... FOR XML -- produce result ready for use by Flash?

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Nov 1 04:20:49 CDT 2010

Evan Ritchie (Sat, 30 Oct 2010, 03:28PM):
This next question and, hopefully, your answer will most likely save me
hours of re-work....

Using VizionDB I output a query to xml, it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<records>
<record>
<field>May 1989</field>
<field>Dennis Chambers</field>
<field>PDFs:md114.pdf</field>
<field>112</field>
</record>
<record>
<field>September 1994</field>
<field>Dennis Chambers</field>
<field>PDFs:md178.pdf</field>
<field>132</field>
</record>
<record>
<field>January 2000</field>
<field>Dennis Chambers & Tony Royster Jr.</field>
<field>PDFs:md242.pdf</field>
<field>188</field>
</record>
<record>
<field>December 2002</field>
<field>DENNIS CHAMBERS, RAUL REKOW, KARL PERAZZO</field>
<field>PDFs:md277.pdf</field>
<field>180</field>
</record>
</records>

Using Director I caused it to look like this for the purpose of using it in
a Flash list display:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<content>
<item>
<title>May 1989 </title>
<description>Dennis Chambers</description>
<thumbnailPath>Thumbs/md114.jpg</thumbnailPath>
<data>md114.pdf,May 1989,Dennis Chambers,112</data>
</item>
<item>
<title>September 1994 </title>
<description>Dennis Chambers</description>
<thumbnailPath>Thumbs/md178.jpg</thumbnailPath>
<data>md178.pdf,September 1994,Dennis Chambers,132</data>
</item>
<item>
<title>January 2000 </title>
<description>Dennis Chambers & Tony Royster Jr.</description>
<thumbnailPath>Thumbs/md242.jpg</thumbnailPath>
<data>md242.pdf,January 2000,Dennis Chambers & Tony Royster Jr.,188</data>
</item>
<item>
<title>December 2002 </title>
<description>DENNIS CHAMBERS, RAUL REKOW, KARL PERAZZO</description>
<thumbnailPath>Thumbs/md277.jpg</thumbnailPath>
<data>md277.pdf,December 2002,DENNIS CHAMBERS, RAUL REKOW, KARL
PERAZZO,180</data>
</item>
</content>

To increase the speed of the query I would like it to go as direct as
possible from the query to output. Any input from you with respect to your
knowledge of this would be outstanding.

I am going to assume a modification of the original database is in order/
changing field names etc. Let me know if I am on the right track with this
thought.

Best,
Evan