Question About Segment Errors

Karl Grob kgrob at mus.ch
Fri May 14 00:11:09 CDT 2010

Hi Barry

I have a DB that should (among other things) present transcriptions of manuscripts of a Swiss 19th century author. For reasons not to discuss here, I have to split all the texts into their words (ca. 3'500'000 Records). Some of these texts are exact transcriptions of manuscripts and will be shown together with a picture of the original.

There is a older DB (Clipper) I have to import. With this import (about 2 hrs.) I put into my DB placeholders for the pictures. Until yesterday, these placeholders were rather small (60KB) and I replaced them with 500 KB pictures (JPEGs). Up to then I never had problems with the import.
Yesterday I had unspecific crashes during the Import of the first or the second (very large) DBF-Table. No idea what it was. Only once i got this VException in my own log-File:

Valentina Fehler in 'App; UnhandledExceptios' - Fehler Nummer: 628010 / "FILE: /PARADIGMA/Developer_2/kernel/xcode/../../sources/VKernel/FBL/prot/LowLevel/Volume/VolumeOnFile/prot_SegmentMap/Tree/FBL_SegmentMap_RBTree.cpp FUNCTION: Search LINE: 298" SegmentMap is corrupted - "UNKNOWN"

If I cannot use BLOB-Fields (VTEXT, VPICTURE) this would destroy years of my work, and I did use this Import x-times with no problem. Integrating the pictures is in my DB no important structural or programming problem, it is just a basic need. Or can you give me a way to show pictures from the server (not locally!) without integrating them into the Database?

BTW: going back to the smaller JPEGs allowed me the import (Result: no errors in VStudio)

I am using VRB4 on a IntelMac.

Thanks
Karl Grob