Picture Field

Thomas Flemming tf at ttqv.com
Mon Mar 15 14:00:16 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm saving .Net-Bitmaps with PixelFormat=Format8bppIndexed
the a picturefield with
fldBmp.WritePictureAs(bmp, EVPictType.kTIFF).

When I read the bitmap later with:
Dim bmp As Bitmap = fldBmp.ReadPicture

I realized, that the bitmap now has a PixelFormat=Format32bppRgb

Since I need to take care of the size of the database, how is my 8-bit-Image
actually stored in the database? 8-bit or 32-bit? Are you also using a
tiff-compression?

Another question is: the picture-field has the flag "compression" set to true,
meaning, that the tiffs are nicely compressed.

But some pictures are better saved as jpg. So when I save a bitmap with
fldBmp.WritePictureAs(bmp, EVPictType.kJPG), will the database still try to
compress it? This would be useless, since jpg is already compressed best.

Best regards,
Tom

--
**   Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Flemming