vServer log options

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Tue Mar 2 07:54:30 CST 2010

Hello Danny,

> Hi Ruslan,

> On 02 Mar 2010, at 13:54, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> On 3/2/10 1:57 PM, "Ivan Smahin" <ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com> wrote:

>>> What about croned tasks for syslog maintenance?
>>> I believe it is possible and very efficient way to keep it in order.
>>
>> Ivan, question is:
>>    if it is possible with syslog way,
>>    provide options or/and cron tasks to NOT LOOSE even month ago info?
>>

>> Danny worry, that syslog will just FORGET too old log msgs...
>> That is the problem first of all
>>
> That's correct.

For   MS   event   log   there  are an options - "When mazimum event log
is reached:

- Overwrite events as needed(oldest events first)
- Archive the log when full, do not overwrite events
- Do not overwrite events (Clear logs manually)

Also   you  may  create  a scheduler task for log event - say run some
program, send it via e-mail and so on.
Also there are a lot third-party scripts for event log maintenance.

I believe the same can be found for MacOS and Linux.

As I said there are lot of possibilities to work with a syslog.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database