DISTINCT not working - varchar

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Mon Jun 21 08:28:42 CDT 2010

Hello Kay,

Monday, June 21, 2010, 4:20:37 PM, you wrote:

> Ivan,

> thanks so much for the quick response. Now I see I find my self
> between a rock and a hard place! As I'm using V4Rev, the Rev User Manual says this:

> 6.4.6    Manipulating Unicode – Using UTF-8
> While Revolution fields support display of Unicode in UTF-16,
> Revolution’s chunk expressions are currently not aware of Unicode.
> Support is planned in the future. At present you should write your
> own functions to process Unicode text.

> Important: We recommend you use UTF-8 in your application whenever you want to
> store or manipulate Unicode data. UTF-8 has the advantage that it preserves ASCII
> punctuation. This means that you can still use the word, item and line chunk expressions
> to manipulate UTF-8. You cannot use the character chunk as that will return individual
> bytes.

> Looks like I'm going to need to write some function to handle
> Unicode - there's no point using Rev if you can't use chunk expressions:-(

> Thanks also for the conversion How Too, worked perfectly, now I can DISTINCT:-)

No - you should do any special preparation.
Valentina  offers  to  different  things  -  storage  encoding  and IO
encoding.

Storage encoding should be set to UTF16 always (for now).
But  IO  encoding  is  the thing to avoid manual encoding data in your
app.  You  should  set  it  to UTF8 in your case. This property is not
schema storable - so you should set it each time before db open.

See V4REV examples and wiki for details.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database