DISTINCT not working - varchar

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Mon Jun 21 02:44:48 CDT 2010

Hello Kay,

Monday, June 21, 2010, 8:50:19 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,

> No it is not. I clicked the box to test it but it came up with a
> confirmation message, suggesting that I probably should really
> understand what I'm about to do - which I don't.

> I did a quick search of the Wiki but didn't learn much. If
> IndexedByWords has to be checked what are the other consequences -
> why would I, why wouldn't I? What constitutes a word - my varchar
> fields can contain things like AMS#deg°C, or maybe a URL with all sorts of funny characters.

> I could extract a distinct list by other means if I had to.

> DISTINCT just worked in mySQL and postgreSQL so curious to learn
> why Valentina my handle it differently.

It  should work, so please, it would be helpful, if  you send me your db
for testing.

Few points why it would not work as you expected:

1.  "IndexByWords"  index.  If  you choose this type of index the data
will be sorted (distincted, grooped and so on) in a special manner.
Look for this feature on Valentina wiki for details.

2.  Unique index. The  only  first  255  characters  in the string get
involved in such index.

To be more specific I need more info.

BTW - do you diagnose your db? Probably it is damaged?

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database