3.5.2-->4.3 migration

Robert Nichols robert at formwork-architecture.com
Sun Jan 24 22:36:31 CST 2010

Ruslan,

One of the first things I have tried to do with 3.5.2 db file is open with VStudio 4.3. It opens and diagnoses as "All Right!" Sounds good.

Taking another step, I did an XML dump, which succeeded, and then tried to load the dump. The load failed, reporting kernel error. After the failed load, the VStudio GUI looked strange: the tables appeared in the correct column, but there was no DB indicated in the DB column. Clicking on the DB column returned all columns to a blank state.

Attempt to execute SQL dump of my file crashed VStudio.

I seem to recall the last time I did a substantial migration, things were initially very unstable because I had been using unwise table and field names that apparently didn't choke the earlier version, but did choke the later version. Are there any new forbidden names or other strings introduced between 3.5.2 and 4.3? Can I send you my file to have a look?

Thanks,

Robert

On Jan 24, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 1/23/10 6:24 PM, "Robert Nichols" <robert at formwork-architecture.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>> I'm just embarking on migration of a major RB client app and vserver from
>> 3.5.2 to 4.3. I'm still running RB 2007 rel. 5.
>>
>> Based on past experience, I am expecting this to be a slow and tedious
>> process. Mostly my fault for having put off maintenance development for so
>> long. So, I'm afraid I may be tormenting the list with questions over the next
>> few days...thanks in advance for time and patience.
>>
>> Question: Trying to compile my app w/ v4RB plugin 4.3 installed. RB complains
>> about my standard edition of the app. The disableRBDB named file is in its
>> correct location, inside the app bundle. Did something change I don't know
>> about?
>
> May be, try put it near  to rb.app
>
>> Also, if anyone wants to offer general guidance on the migration, I would be
>> grateful. I understand that I need to create new constructors for my tables
>> and db.
>

> Between 3.5.2 and 4.3 there is no huge difference.
>
> Only was added SPs - they not affect you
>
> May be was made more strict dates parsing.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering and New Technology
> Paradigma Software, Inc

> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> [I feel the need: the need for speed]

robert nichols

formwork design llc
114 3rd st ne | charlottesville, va 22902 | 434.296.2223 | formwork-architecture.com