bug in length() function on large text fields?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:54:52 CST 2010

Hi

When running length(body) on a TEXT field containing Ascii text I get
unexpected results.  So I created a body_length field, and populated
that via Rev calculating the length of the text being inserted.  For
smaller sizes of the TEXT field, length() used in VStudio's SQL Editor
is in accord with the body_length field.  However, as the values go
higher, the result from calling length goes askew.

Here is some sample data:

body_length        length(body)
=========        =========
54880                 54880
62353                 62353
65875                     340
66342                     807

The results from length() continue to rise beyond the 807 shown here,
but then at later points in the series the result falls back down.
This happens multiple times.

Should this be entered into Mantis?  If so, is there some way I can
print out the output from the Sql Editor of VStudio so that I can
include the rises and falls in the output from lenght() in the bug
report?

Bernard