Program crash on open Db

Richard McCoy mcrmedia1 at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 16 13:14:48 CST 2010

I'm experiencing an anomaly with simple open and close routines in Director 11.5. First I can create a new Dbase such as:
    MyDb = new(xtra VDataBase", #kLocal)
and then open a Dbase such as:
    MyDb.open("C:\Db")

Works great. I can then close the Db such as:
    MyDb.close()

The problem arises when I attempt to open a different Dbase using the same global. If I simply open the new Dbase, then about half the time it opens okay, but the other half it causes a "Fatal Error" and crashes the program. I'm error checking to be sure the Dbase has closed before attempting to open a new one.

I can correct the problem by always recreating the global before opening any Dbase.

Question: is this the preferred method, or should I be able to open and close Dbases using the same global with no problems?

Thanks.

Richard McCoy
Executive Creative Director
MCR Media Associates, LLC