compressor error

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 06:43:41 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin
<ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/10 12:03 PM, "Bernard Devlin" <bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can let you have the script that populated the database, and a copy
>> of the database.  But even compressed we are talking about a total
>> size of 300+mb for the .vdb, .blb, and .ind files.  Can Mantis accept
>> a file of that size?
>
> Well, lets do next steps:
>
> 1) report issue to mantis
>
> 2) try COMPRESS to ZIP this db files.
>    they can become much smaller in ZIP
>
> 3) at first we will check DB itself.
> If we will not be able fix with db only
> We will ask for scripts.

Hi Ruslan,

I re-created the database, and loaded several hundred megabytes of
*.txt files into it.  Whilst running the kinds of Select statements I
mentioned, I again saw "compressor error" appear in the console.  I
ran 'Diagnose' (set to 'very verbose' level) against the db.  Diagnose
seemed to abort with the same "compressor error" in a dialog window.
Looking in the log file created with Diagnose, there is no error
reported (that's why I say it "seemed to abort").

I've entered the bug report in Mantis
(http://valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=4694).  However, the report
submission page says that the maximum size is 500k.  Even zipped and
compressed this database is 194mb.  Do you have an ftp server I can
use to submit the file?

I'm reluctant to make any changes to the db to reduce its size in case
it results in the error not being reproducible.  I am specifically
trying to test the limits of Valentina to see if its something I want
to use.  I have plans to test compression with databases in the
multi-gigabyte size.

As things stand, compression is not workable if data cannot be
retrieved following compression.

Bernard