VERY INTRESTING issue about SLOW OPEN of DB on WINXP -- solved.

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Feb 18 14:16:15 CST 2010

Hi All,

Please read this Mantis issue,

    http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=4713

Actually read near to the end a note from Jokel

************
Hello Ruslan,

just to close this matter, yes I finally nailed the problem down.
It has absolutely nothing to do with whatever VALTENTINA product,
I reproduced the problem on 7 different PCs located in different
companies (remote acc.), which are not associated or linked in
any way and there was never any VALTENTINA product installed on them.
All PCs are Windows-XP, fully patched to the recent level!

Simple test:
- put the file africa.vdb into one folder,
make a copy of it and rename the copy, to (i. E.) africa.vdq
- put whatever 200MB *.zip file into the same folder,
make a copy of it and rename it to <zipfile>.vdb
Now restart your PC, go to the folder mentioned above, open
in Microsoft explorer, rightclick and select "properties" with
each of these four files, on after the other, the order is unimportant:
africa.vdb = takes ~ 20 seconds until the property windows appears
africa.vdq = takes ~ 0 seconds until the property windows appears
<zipfile>.vdb = takes ~ 20 seconds until the property windows appears
<zipfile>.zip = takes ~ 0 seconds until the property windows appears

This only happens at the first try on every *.vdb file after
starting your XP-PC. The time passing here is exactly the time you
see passing when trying to open a *.vdb file in VStudio. The reason
is, that win-XP playes whatever actions on these files, this has nothing
to do with the actual contents of these files, it is simply because of
the extension *.vdb

I tried on one machine to ged rid of the problem, the problem vanished there
after uninstalling all .net 3.X components. Restarting an XP- PC,
Rightclick/properties on a *.vdb file then shows the property window within
"0" seconds. Installing VStudio, restarting PC, VS then opens the *.vdb
files
on first try within a second. I have to confess, on a second PC I tried,
removing .net3.X components was not sufficient.

So this is definitely no Valentina problem, but it affects Valentina
databases
in an ugly way, making users/potential customers (running Win-XP) think,
that
this product is slow on initial opening of larger databases. They probably
will
not recognize this as a bug or Windows problem, they simply think VStudio is
slow.

Why this is a very important problem for us:
users of our newly developed product will have dozens (hundred) of big
databases in use, and if each of these takes 20 seconds to initialize...

So what do you think ?
(0005076)
Tom     (reporter)
2010-02-18 11:55

Jockel... how this have come to you? :-))

Thats it, its just retreiving the file-informations for vdb-files, that
takes so long, at least on a german xp-sp3.
Its really just the extension. As Jockel said, take any big file, rename it
to *.vdb and select file-properties...
As a workaround I will change the extension of our databases to something
else. This should not be a problem, thought?

Tom
(0005077)

Ruslan Zasukhin     (administrator)
2010-02-18 14:44

Jockel, sounds like GENIUS TESTING !! wow! impressive...
it needs to have link to God to get such insight :)

Yes, Tom, actually DEVELOPERs of own applications SHOULD change extensions
of db files,
to be able use own icons for them.

Valentina provides easy for use method Valentina.SetExtentions() for this.

TIP: future if you have Valentina db with other extentions, you can open it
be VStudio using drag and drop on Schema Editor panel.

I will close this issue now