Duplicate Error

Richard McCoy mcrmedia1 at insightbb.com
Thu Feb 11 20:26:12 CST 2010

I'm hitting a peculiar problem. Wonder if there's a precedent?

Using Valentina addRecord() function

PathName.value = List item

I set the FilePath field in my database to "Unique" so that a person cannot add duplicate files. I'm also filtering in code to make sure that no duplicates get to the addRecord() code.

Everything works great, except for very specific circumstances. If two files have a similar path such as this:

D:\Sample Folder\ 11 Caesar.jpg
D:\Sample Folder\ 11 Augustus.jpg

Even though these are two distinct files, Valentina recognizes them as having precisely the same path and flags that a duplicate record already exists.

Changing the second file name to any of these alternatives corrects the problem:

D:\Sample Folder\ 11_Augustus.jpg
D:\Sample Folder\ 10 Augustus.jpg
D:\Sample Folder\ 12 Augustus.jpg

Since I don't know what a person might name their files, I don't have the luxury of arbitrarily changing their file names.

Is there a work-around for this?

Thanks.

Richard McCoy
Executive Creative Director