Question about blocks and not blocks of threads

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Aug 12 06:30:23 CDT 2010

On 8/12/10 12:50 PM, "Christian Schmitz"
<realbasiclists at monkeybreadsoftware.de> wrote:

Hi Christian,

Thank you for answer.

>> One of Valentina users have show us this text from latest REALBasic release
>> notes.
>>
>>> The ODBC database plugin now has some feature parity with MySQL, PostgreSQL
>>> and REAL Server plugins - it no longer blocks the REALbasic threads when
>>> calling SQLSelect and SQLExecute.
>>
>> Anybody know what this means and how this was made?
>
> In the plugin, the SQLSelect and SQLExecute methods regularly call
> REALYieldToRB.

Okay, but hmm.

I do not see how this helps in the case if a remote DBMS do not answer 30
seconds or even 5 minutes ...

We can regularly call REALYieldToRB only if we have some loop in OUR C++
functions of plugin ...

So above claim sounds strange for me.
SQLSelect() is a thing wrapper function to call of remote DBMS API.

SomeResult SQLSelect( inQuery )
{
      return pSomeDB->Query( inQuery );
}

I could yet understand, if they mention method which in loop read records of
result and do something with them in loop.

>> Now question is:
>>    * does RB SDK have some new features to resolve this?
>
> nothing new.

Okay, anyway I have catch idea.

Once again, thank you.