Database-layer concept (Re: Am I too old to learn Valentina?)

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Sep 7 01:54:08 CDT 2009

On 9/7/09 9:27 AM, "Francois Van Lerberghe" <fvanlerberghe at freegates.be>
wrote:

Hi Francois,

>>> Seeing that I will have to do a great deal of re-design, I may as well
>>> get it right. Any examples of what you suggest? I looked database-
>>> layer up in the RB user guide but no luck - my FMP legacy has left me
>>> rather ignorant I am sorry to say.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure, you will do it. Many years ago, I on my own was in
>> this "black dark age of FMP development" and I master to leave it and
>> now I'm in this sunny and funny land of Valentina-SQL-development!
>>
>> I can send you my ValentinaDB-class I used in my RB apps, BUT I use an
>> Object-Relational-Mapping (ORM - you should find THIS) and this is
>> much more than only encapsulating of database functionality.
>
> Hello Thorsten,
>
> I'm very interested to understand exactly what you mean about
> database-layer.
> Would you be kind enough to send to me your Valentina-class also. I would be
> really pleased.

Actually db-layer in app is must for use if your app must support few db
engines.

* Exists open standard of such layers, e.g. ODBC and JDBC

* REALbasic have own layer actually -- RBDB API

    PHP language have few layers, ADO, PDO, ...
    Revolution have own REV DB API
    Ruby have one
    and so on

* Some developers write own simple classes which play role of such layer.
Usually this is simple todo if just wrap DB and Cursor and use SQL

* Some developers/companies write even big layers - frameworks.
    this is the whole challenge.

For example CoreData, EOF - frameworks from Apple,
And exists many different ORM frameworks around RDBMS

* in fact Valentina's Class way is kind of such built-in framework also...
You mirror your Data model in set of classes, which hides behind self low
level operations. Later, your app uses these classes and their methods.