Am I too old to learn Valentina?

Greg Olson-Hyde greg at hawkmount.com
Sun Sep 6 03:35:32 CDT 2009

On 06/09/2009, at 6:18 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> So, generally speaking you can use this RBDB API, but it is not so
> powerful
> and flexible as native Valentina for REALbasic API.

Thank you Ruslan,

I have read the items you mentioned and decided that if I am going to
convert, I may as well do it properly/powerfully/fast. I have gathered
that the native Valentina is the best - that is what I am aiming for.

All I have achieved so far is to remove the open SQLitedb and replace
it with open Valentinadb - this is working without error to that point.

However, my app won't compile and has 747 errors (mainly concerning
RecordSets, Errors, Commits and Inserts) that I am going to have to go
through manually and fix - a daunting task!

I seem to get stuck on the little things - such as:

   Dim vBusinessTable As VTable
   Dim piStatus As Integer
   vBusinessTable = EnglishDB.Table( "tblBusiness" )
   piStatus = vBusinessTable.Field("ibRegoStatusQU").GetString

In the last line RB wants an integer, not a string, (as it should) so
I changed it to:

   piStatus = val(vBusinessTable.Field("ibRegoStatusQU").GetString)

Very clunky and there has to be a better way - I am still searching
your documentation to find it though!

As always, thanks for your speedy help.

Cheers

Greg Olson-Hyde