Importing Data and RecID

Greg Olson-Hyde greg at hawkmount.com
Tue Sep 1 18:38:20 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I am making progress importing my data into Valentina - my data, it
appears, was VERY 'dirty', it has had a good wash and is much cleaner
now!

I am having trouble with ID's. For example, if I create a table using
my existing SQLite:

CREATE TABLE tblqCategory (iqCategoryCategoryID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY
AUTOINCREMENT, sqCategoryCategory TEXT, UNIQUE (sqCategoryCategory))

However, my existing 'iqCategoryCategoryID' data has holes in it, it
is not sequential. So, when I import and 'iqCategoryCategoryID'
becomes 'RecID', Valentina then fills in the holes by making all the
ID's sequential. My relationships will fall apart.

I could import into an 'iqCategoryCategoryID' field to solve the
problem but then I would have 'iqCategoryCategoryID' AND 'RecID' - not
good.

Is there a way to import into 'RecID' and maintain my 'holey' data
sequence?

Is there a way to import into 'iqCategoryCategoryID'  then move the
'holey' data into 'RecID' and maintain my 'holey' data sequence?

OR

Should I tidy up my 'holey' data and make it sequential (a nightmare
concept as I have over 55,000 records relating to 6,000 records - my
mind boggles!!!). Perhaps someone has an easy, AND error proof, way to
do this?

OR

Should I have two ID fields - 'iqCategoryCategoryID' AND 'RecID'?
Could I then AutoIncrement the 'iqCategoryCategoryID' field in
Valentina to keep the sequence going?

OR

Any other ideas from your experience?

Cheers