Blob compressing

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Oct 27 11:32:22 CDT 2009

On 10/27/09 8:08 PM, "Stan Busk" <maxprog at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Stan,

> Ok but it looks like you can't set that as part of the constructor:
> http://www.valentina-db.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=valentina:products:adk:api:vb
> lob_class:construction_methods
>
> I guess I will have to use: fldBlob.IsCompressed = true like:
>
>          myDatabase.myTable.myBlobField.IsCompressed = True

You need SET this only once!
No need assign it before each WRITE to BLOB.

I think you can try assign this property in your constructor.

>          myDatabase.myTable.myBlobField.WriteRawData( myData )
>          myDatabase.myTable.UpdateRecord()
>          myDatabase.myTable.Flush()
>
> Is this correct? I guess it is...

In fact compression for raw BLOB field on DB level do not have big sense.
Because you self can easy compress/uncompress raw data.

Compression in Valentina was added mainly for TEXT field.
Here it is very important, because engine yet need to build index,
So it should self be able do compression of TEXT.