Query in multiple databases

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Tue May 26 04:53:21 CDT 2009

On 2009-05-26, at 11:39, Matthew Jew wrote:

> If the rules are the same (meaning only one thread at a time),
> how can he start "N search against N dbs. May be in N threads to use
> more CPUs of computer."
> as you recommended to him?

If I'm using local files I can use a thread in my app - as far as my
IDE / language supports thread - for each DB I want to handle. Of
course dealing with this could not be as easy as to write the lines,
but it should be doable.

When using a VServer then the first thing to keep in mind: Number of
connections - you need to multiply all possible simultaneous
connections with all possible users on this server ... and then write
Lynn a mail asking about an offer for unlimited server ;-)

So while all "tasks" ( threads) are queued in the VServer to be
executed you can use several threads to connect to different
databases. Of course using a dedicated VServer for each db could helps
a lot. If you think further in this direction, question is then all
VServer on one multi-processor machine or on different machines? ...
write a mail to Apple and order a truck full of XServes ...

But even this *could* make sense, because only a small amount of time
is really needed for the execution on the VServer all the other is
generating the query on the client, processing the result, ... and all
this can happen simultaneously.

*Dreammode* and if the next iPhone *would* allow threads then laying
out in the sun hitting a button and then 20 XServes start to work
heavily :-)

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord