Cocoa support

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Wed May 20 01:08:10 CDT 2009

Hi Trausti,

On 2009-05-19, at 19:56, Trausti Thor Johannsson wrote:

> Then my question is about Cocoa.

as you know as was using REALbasic on a - hm, lets call it higher
level - for several years.

Due to some more reasons I decided in the last summer that I do
something "more naturally Mac" and bought in the first step the Aaron
Hillegas book, sadly this lay around several months.

In November I started with Obj-C / Cocoa development and was blown
away day by day. Of course speed was one experience, but ease of
development, at least in the way I'm thinking (KVC, KVO, ...). So in
December this app was ready to be installed on the clients machine.

I then started to port my framework (Dynamic Data Objects / Dynamic
Business Objects) over from RB and start to build real apps. Somehow
replacing CoreData concepts with my own design and heavily based on
Valentina - using ALL this nice Valentina stuff like Properties, many
ObjPtr fields, triggers, ... and I'm really, really happy again, Cocoa
is the tool I dreamed several years of, so I can say go for it!

Of course, you're right, the docs are not the best ones and several
things are missing, BUT you should be able to use e.g. the RB
reference pdf and simply "translate" it o Cocoa. Furthermore you'll
get the very well documented header files and these are worth a look,
too. So it shoud not be so hard to starte with Valentina-Cocoa
development for an experienced RB-Valentina-developer.

Feel free to contact me of-list and I'm going to send you some code
from my new apps and give you some further tips and hints what to do
and what NOT to do.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord