V4MD: Save images compressed (like png) incl. alpha

Kirill Pekarov kirill_pekarov at valentina-db.com
Fri Mar 13 05:19:21 CDT 2009

On 3/12/09 12:12 PM, "Marc Schmitt" <Marc_Schmitt at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>

>> I'm wondering what is the 'best' method for putting an image (incl. aplha)
>> into a db while using little space?
>> Quite like the compression used in png-format...
>>
>> By now I extract he alpha information of an image and save two pictures: one
>> with rgb-information and another one with the alpha of the director image.
>> Later, I pull these two informations back together to get the image incl.
>> alpha again.
>>
>> Is there an recommended approach without doing this extra processing, while
>> keeping stored information small? Maybe tiff is the way to go, but I didn't
>> find anything about setting compression methods in valentina for saving
>> pictures in tiff-format..?
>>

> 1) As I remember we have integrate TIFF compression few years ago.
> But rare used.
>
> You can try kTIFF instead of kJPG
>
> Kirill?

Now in Director we can save picture only in JPG format using setImage()
or setPicture() methods.

If you want use these methods for saving pictures in TIFF format, please
add request to the mantis.
We can do it during next 7-10 days.
But, I'm not sure about compression for TIFF format, perphaps  we can't
do it for now.
Without compression TIFF will always save in 100% quality.

Kirill Pekarov
Software Engineer Associate
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database