build trouble

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Tue Jun 16 04:37:07 CDT 2009

Hi Danny,

On 2009-06-16, at 11:20, Danny Lewkin wrote:

> I have build a windows RB version of an app on my mac, put contents of
> vcomponents in dir of .exe file, and guess what, the application runs
> on windows.... except... :-)
>
> Each time i try to connect to a server, I get the errormessage:
>
> The connection could not be established because:
> Valentina is already initialized.
>
> On Mac, this app runs fine without any problems.
> Any idea what's going on here?
> Do I need to build the application with a windows version of RB?

first of all, no you don't need to build on windows, but you should
debug and "test / log run" in windows. It is common knowledge, or at
least IMHO it should be common ;-), that apps build with RB are doing
different things on start up on Mac on Windows. I must have made this
experience in a painful way several times on my own. So the order of
events may vary just a little, OR furthermore the timing is different.

Even more bad and especially on windows, the behaviour is different
when debugging / remote debugging or the app is running. Even writing
to a log file step by step could change this! So log in memory and
write the list to file after start up is completed.

2. I would strongly recommend a mutex style of design for the
"database-context-class" so that it is not possible to try to connect
twice.

3. Simplest thing to check. Switch of ALL security software,
especially AV and try to run it again. Are you on Vista? The build in
virtualization and protection could make life even more harder. Try to
run it on a XP machine.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord