Database in RAM only?

Brendan Murphy bmurphy at truenorthsoftware.com
Fri Jan 30 12:22:15 CST 2009

Ruslan wrote:
> Well, new Database create only isntanse of class.
> But not FILES of db on disk or RAM.
>
> So yes its important to call db.Create()
>
> What happens if you do
>    db.Create( "fake name" )
> ?
>
> Does V4RB crate any disk files?
> I think it should not create disk files because they will be created
> in RAM.
>
> Name of course will be ignored.

What you suggested works and it will get me over the hump, thanks!
This also works when you use the open method with a fake name.

For a future release I think you should do one or more of the
following or some combination.

1) Update the documentation to reflect what you just said because
it is not obvious.

2) Overload the open method to take no parameters or handle a
nil value passed in to indicate it is only in RAM.

3) If you pass in the kRAM constant, automatically open the
database with no need to call open or create.